|MAIN||HOW TO REACH||HOTELS||CONTACTS|
Saheliyon ki Bari alias 'Garden of Maids' is one of the popular tourist destinations in Udaipur, Rajasthan. It lies on the banks of Fateh Sagar lake and in northern part of the city about 3km from Lal Ghat. It is a majestic garden built by Maharana Sangram Singh for 48 young beautiful girls who were given to royal house as part of the dowry for his princess. This garden used to be the popular relaxing spot of the royal ladies.
Literally means 'Garden of maids', it was built from 1710 to 1734.
It is also said that the garden is a present from the Emperor of Delhi as a peace offering. Saheliyon Ki Bari was once smashed up by the flood in the Fateh Sagar lake but Maharana Fateh Singh rebuild it in the present form in the late nineteenth century. He built a pavilion of rain fountains which are believed to be imported from England in 1889. The thought was to form an illusion of rain dancing to the rhythm of the dancing maids.
One of the best example of Hindu landscape gardening, this beautifully designed Saheliyon ki Bari with a background of wooded hilly terrains has lush green lawns, flowerbeds, shady cool walking lanes, marble pavilions, imposing fountains and kiosks, a lotus pool and marble elephants. At the entrance of Saheliyon ki Bari, there is a rose garden with hundred varieties of roses which welcomes the visitors.
The garden is dotted with lotus blossoms and bougainvillea creepers. It has a rose garden with over 100 varieties.
The fountains here are fed by the water of the nearby Fatesh Sagar Lake. Each water channel has its distinct sound and the mingling of these sounds complement the ambience of the place Near to saheliyon-ki-bari is burhani nagar and burhani masjid,vidhiya bhawan school and seva mandir marg.
There is also a small museum here which depicts domiciles stuffed animals, such as cobras and ancient pictures of long-gone age and large collection of royal households.
Within Saheliyon ki Bari, there is a pavilion of rain fountains known as 'Savan Bhado' which is located on the left and right of the central square. It was constructed by Maharana Bhopal Singh to create an illusion of rain dancing in rhythm with dancing maids. The fountains in the form of sculpted birds that spray water from their beaks producing rain effect were imported from England in the year 1889. There are also white marble elephant sculptures made out of single piece of stone, splashing water into the water pools through their trunks. There is a delightful lotus pool and a sitting room decorated with paintings and glass mosaics.
Entry Fee : Rs.5/-
Timings : All days of the week; 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM