|HOW TO REACH
Also known as 'Lake Garden Palace', it was built in 1551 AD. The construction of Jag Mandir was started in 1551 by Maharana Amar Singh, continued by Maharana Karan Singh (1620-1628) and finally completed by Maharana Jagat Singh I (1628-1652). It is named as Jagat Mandir in honour of the last named Maharana Jagat Singh. The royal family used the palace as a summer resort and pleasure palace for holding parties.
Jag Mandir has gained historical importance, when Prince Khurram (later Shah Jahan) was given refuge here when he was in revolt against his father, Mughal Emperor Jahangir. It is said that later when Shahjahan built the world-renowned Taj Mahal, he took many ideas especially the pieta dura work from Jag Mandir palace, during his stay in 1623-24. Talking about the historical facts, in 1857, during the revolt, Maharana Swaroop Singh protected a number of European families in this Palace.
Jag Mandir, the three palatial structured built of yellow sandstone and marble slabs, is beautifully adorned with coloured stones and exquisite mughal paintings. Jag Mandir is well maintained with beautiful fountains and at the entrance, there are carved statues of elephants that looks like guarding the island. Inside the complex, there are beautiful gardens adorned with roses, palm trees, jasmine flowers, frangipanni trees and bougainvillea.
Within the palace, there is a the temple dedicated to the Lord Jagdish.
The major attraction here, is the Gul Mahal, made in Islamic style architecture with three circular domed chambers, one above the other. It was here Prince Khurram lived with his family. Inside the palace complex , there is a small mosque built in memory of saint Madar also to serve the religious purpose of Khurram.
Darikhana, on the northern side of the palace, is an open sided terrace built with marble columns. This place is now run as a restaurant by the present Maharana.
Another attraction of this Palace is the courtyard, which is covered with black and white tiles. Bara Patharon ka Mahal, made out of twelve solid marble slabs is located at the eastern wing of the main palace is a must see for all tourists.
Other pavilions that are worth mentioning are Kunwar Pada ka Mahal, meant for the crowned prince and the Zenana Mahal. The Zenana Mahal or queen chamber is a part of the palace.
In the present date, the Palace complex also comprises a Darikhana Restaurant that serves lip smacking cuisine of Rajasthan. Jag Mandir Palace is a nice place to visit and explore the halls, where once the royalty of Mewar used to reside.