|MAIN||HOW TO REACH||HOTELS||CONTACTS|
Similar to the structure of Amber Fort, Jaigarh is surrounded by huge battlements (spread over three kilometers) with inside walkways, extensive watch towers and gateways. The fort also offers a beautiful view of Amber fort, Amber palace, old city of Amber and Jai Mahal.
Stands as a testimony of the power of the Jaipur Rulers, it still maintained by Royal family. One can enter the fort from the vertical road that leads to the main gate, the Dungar Darwaza on the south and can also enter through the Awani Darwaza in the east. There is a useful map of the fort detailing all the different areas at the Dunger Darwaza.
There are also a secret back passages used for royal escape in times of emergency at Jaigarh Fort. Many of the apartments are open to the public.
Inside the fort, there are Palace, garden, open and closed reservoirs, Cannon facorty, a tall tower, temples , a small museum exhibiting different armoury and a puppet theater. One can find many monkeys outside the fort are a sight to see.
The water supply and storage system of the fort is another noteworthy feature of Jaigarh Fort. Built inside the fort, there are three underground tanks and the largest of them had the capacity to store sixty lakh gallons of water. The largest tank is 158 ft long, 138 ft width and 40 ft deep. One can see a high tower Diya Burj in Jaigarh fort. It is a seven-storeyed tower where a huge oil lamp was lit on the king's birthday. On the top there is a flag which is the old Jaipur state flag.
The major highlight of Jaigarh fort is the Jaigarh cannon foundry. This is one of the few surviving medieval foundries in the world built by Bhagwan Das in the 16th century. It exhibits 'Jaivan' the world’s largest cannon on wheels. Stands on top of one tower, it is 50-tonne wheeled cannon with 20 feet length. Its barrel is supports by a 24 feet long shaft and beautifully carved with flowers, trees , animals and birds. The canon fired with 100 kg gunpowder. Actually, the idea to make this canon was of Maharaja Man Singh Ji-I. Its plans were based on his knowledge of cannon making which he learned on his Kabul campaign in the 16th century. It has been supposed to be fired at least a couple of times.
Aaram Mandir (Rest House) literally means Rest House has a lovely view over the gardens that are located at the northern end of the fort. The Lakshmi Vilas Palace consists of beautiful frescoes in blue with remnants of an old Mughal garden. It also has a little 'theater' where dance, music recitals and puppet shows will be held for the entertainment of rajas. Surrounded by a high wall it offers a great views over the Amber Fort.
The ancient temples of Ram Harihar and Kal Bhairava are within the fort. Built in 1225 AD, it has two large idols of Lord Rama and Hari-Har. The temple has beautiful marble work and brass door which were accomplished by Maharaja Sawai Man Singh Ji II in 1940. The Subhat Niwas a meeting hall for soldiers is located on the western side of the fort.
The fort museum consists of a collection of paintings, puppets and coins, photographs of the Jaipur kings- Sawai Bhawani Singh and Major General Man Singh II, photographs of royal kings buildings, processions and a circular pack of cards, and a balance for measuring explosives and several containers including a 16th century coin container, collection of weapons and cannons used by the Rajput rulers and many other remnants of the past. It also consists displays gold, silver, jewels and other valuables which were won by Man Singh I (late 16th century) from each battle.
Vijay Garh is Jaigarh fort's armoury which consists a large collections of swords, shields, guns, muskets and bombs. There is interesting photograph collection too. A cannon ball of 50 kg, which commemorate the courage days of the Kings, a few weather beaten sedan chairs etc are noteworthy. The main attraction is its treasury lock with five keys and big wine and oil jars. The map of Amber in 1681 also exhibit there.
The fort opens to the public from 9 am – 4.30 pm. Extra Charge Rs 20 for Camera. For more information contact 0141- 630848. English and local guides are available at the entrance of the fort.