|MAIN||HOW TO REACH||HOTELS||CONTACTS|
it was a small church stood on the grounds given by Maharaja Krishnaraja
Wodeyar III in 1840. Actually, he gave the plot to build a church when
a need for a Christian church was felt in 1799 when the capital of Mysore
state was moved from Srirangapatanam to Mysore city and many British officers
and soldiers came and settled here. In 1933, Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV (
the grandson of Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar III) laid the foundation
of a new larger church. It was designed by a French architect and was
again remodeled and completed under the Mysore Bishop, Rene Feuga's supervision.
The white walls of the church is endowed with pointed arches and tined windows. The stained glass windows, made in France adds to the artistic grandeur of the church. These beautiful glass-windows depict scenes from the life of Christ -his Birth, the Last Supper, the Crucifixion, the Resurrection and the Ascension.
Below the main marble altar, the church has an underground chamber enclosing a statue of St. Philomena from France, in a sleeping posture as well as a relic of the saint obtained from Peter Pisani, Apostolic Delegate of the East Indies in 1926. The relic is preserved at the centre of a beautiful shield. There is also a statue of Christ which lies beyond the altar.
The church runs an orphanage in its premises. The Holy Mass is held daily in Kannada, Tamil and English. Special prayers are held on Sundays and during festivals. The annual Feast of the church is held on August 11th. Photography inside the cathedral is strictly prohibited. The church is open everyday from 5am to 6.30pm.
Mass Timings :