Lansdowne is a quiet beautiful hill station with a feel of the good old
days. Located at Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand (previously known
as Uttaranchal) state, it is a favorite spot among the peace lovers who
loves to spend some time in the lapse of the hills. It is also one of
the charmingly unspoiled and tranquil hill stations in North India. It
was founded by 'Lord Lasndowne' the then Viceroy of India (1888 - 1894)
and hence the place was named after him as Lansdowne. Presently, Lansdowne
boasts the command office of the Garhwal Rifles division of the Indian
Situated about 81 kms from Pauri, Lansdowne located
at a height of 1,706 metres above the sea level. The hill resort became
popular when the Britishers came to India and shifted a part of the cantonment
board to Lansdowne from Almora on 5th November, 1887. During that time,
Sahibs, galloped across the ridge that overlooked a sprawling and the
Greater Himalayas, or assemble to the Church on the hill every Sunday
in their horse drawn vehicles.
Unlike other hill stations, Lansdowne is well connected
with motorable roads but still remote in its own way. Blessed with salubrious
climate and natural beauty, this pretty hill station is surrounded by
thick tall oaks and blue pine forest. Lansdown has several trekking
routes and a number of treks into the hillside are started from Lansdowne.
Since the stretches are not steep compared to the other hill stations,
trekking at Lansdowne is very easy. Usually the nature trek takes few
minutes to few hours or one day’s duration and the tougher climbs
lasting 2 days. Besides, trekking other activities at Lansdowne are
camping, snow viewing and forest walk.The hill resort has many temples
and shrines mostly devoted to the various forms of the Mother Goddess.
Places to See in Lansdowne
The Garhwal Rifles Regimental War Memorial:
One of the major tourist attractions at Lansdowne, this war memorial is
located at the parade ground. It was founded by Lord Rawlinson of Trent
the then Commander in Chief of India on 11 November, 1923. It is a decorated
bronze statue of a Garhwali soldier dressed at the time of First World
It is one of the oldest and well maintained heritage buildings of
Lansdowne. Built in January 1888 by the Britishers, it is considered as
a prominent museum in Asia. It boasts a rare collection of wild animals’
skin, furniture and trophies. There is a dial with a arrow marks directing
towards Nandadevi, Chaukhamba, Kamet and other snow-clad peaks of the
Himalayan range. It was presented by Lt.Col.M.B.Rober.
St. Mary’s Church
Built in 1896, this artistic church is situated on the way to Tip-in-Top.
Built by Col. AHB Hume of Royal Engineers, this 113-year-old church has
separate rooms inside which displays pre independence photographs. One
can see an audio and visual display of the Regimental history.
It is a popular tourist destination at Lansdowne. Lies adjacent to the
ridge leading to St. Mary’s Church it offers a clear view of the
Himalayan ranges. The point is also a good route for trekking.
St. John’s Church
It is a Roman Catholic Church situated on the mall road. It was
previously a forest bungalow and reopened as a church on Nov 29, 1980.
It is an artificial lake dedicated to Jawans of Garhwal Rifles
who made distinguishable contributions in its construction. The word ‘Bhulla’
literally means younger brother in Garhwali language. Boating and paddling
facilities are also available at Bhulla Tal. Adjoining the lake is a small
children’s park with a garden which is an ideal entertainment for
the children as well adults.
It is one of the best treks in Lansdowne with cloudy valley and view of
distant peaks on one side and teak, oak and blue pine trees on the other.
It is dedicated to Lord Shiva and known for the oldest Sidhpeeths.
The temple was set up by Aaadi Sankaracharya. Surrounded by dense forests
of deodar and pine, it is situated 38kms from Lansdowne on Lansdowne-Deriakhal
road. During the festival of Shivrati, a special worship is held at the